Friday, September 12, 2008

The N-Word Debate

In the words of Dr. Phil...
"Can the N-word be used as a term of endearment when it has such a poisonous root?"

Also expressing their opinions on this very controversial issue this morning on the Dr. Phil Show was actor Hill Harper, Civil Rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton, and comedians Sheryl Underwood and Paul Mooney. The debate got very heated when different races from the audience brought up the issue of racism to the debate against the panel made of all African Americans...

Click HERE for further details of the show!

Here's what I think....
Black, white, purple, green.... I have a name. It's Samone. I don't care if we homies, cool with each other, or of the same race, DON'T CALL ME THE N-WORD! I don't care how, when, and where you use it with or referring to other people, but don't use it when referring to me.

As a black person, I find it very RIDICULOUS that we use that word so freely but get so offended when other races use it against us! I was always taught that if you can comfortably consider yourself to be a certain thing, someone else calling you that shouldn't be a problem to you.

But frankly, if a word can be used offensively, it shouldn't be used at all. If EVERYONE of EVERY RACE can't use a word safely, it shouldn't be used at all. That philosophy of mine goes for every and any word, and for those reasons, I don't use the n-word.


But that's just my opinion. What do you think??

2 comments:

Britastic said...

I definitely agree with everything you mentioned. I hate name calling of any race and especially the n-word.

carolina magic said...

Really interesting blog post on this topic. Always a hot controversial one to write about. A few years ago I wrote (and got published) an article about a man in N.C. using the N word--it was overheard by a broadcast reporter, but the reporter did not tell anyone about what he heard. I wondered why he didn't broadcast a story about that. He (the reporter) got rankled when I called him up to interview him about what he had heard and did not report.