Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fat-Sploitation

Yesterday, I was watching the Tyra Banks Show and the topic was "Fat-Sploitation". The show was very interesting because I was shocked to see that there were so many plus-sized (very plus-sized) women who have a lot of confidence in themselves. Some model lingerie, some make sexy videos for the web. It felt great watching the show, but anger started to build as more and more smaller-sized women stood up to express their non-supportive opinions.

Click HERE to read further details about the show.

Here are my thoughts...
No thin, skinny, whatever you want to consider them, person is going to tell me I look disgusting because I'm not a size 2 or 4. Who cares? Yeah, overweight people may be unhealthy, but who's to say that all skinny people are healthy? And frankly, the insistance on being thin makes people diet in unhealthy way, create dangerous eating disorders, and crazy nonsense like that. I mean, I'm not super plus-sized like the women on the show, but I'm not thin either. I mean, I'm content with being a size 18 (even though size 14's are easier to find and cheaper). No, I don't go around exploiting my body in any way, shape, or form...I don't think anyone, any size should. But if you have that much confidence in yourself to not care what others say and you help in giving full-figured women, like me, the confidence to love yourself despite what society says, then go ahead girl!

But that's just my opinion....what do you think?

6 comments:

Ash said...

I agree, it doesn't matter if you're a size 2 or 22, confidence is key. As long as you are healthy. However as you said, someone can be unhealthy and be a size 0 or a size 22. As long as a person eats right, and is happy inside, size shouldn't matter!

Sarah MacDonald said...

I definitely agree with both of you! I see people "dieting" who only allow themselves crackers and diet soda. I shudder at the thought of how that affects their insides, which are far more important than anything on the outside.

ace2311 said...

I completely agree! People care way too much about their appearance, especially their weight. The important thing is that people are comfortable with their bodies.

Ms. B. said...

I agree 100%. There are times when I want to be skinnier, but it is not because skinny is better. It is because I know I'm not eating healthy and exercising regularly, which means I have unnecessary body fat that I know can be taken care of with less junk food and a trip to the west center. I think changing your lifestyle (instead of dieting) is important for everyone of all sizes to feel alive and well, but I def. don't think we should deprive ourselves of the luxuries in life. Weight will always be a hot topic especially because being overweight can cause other health issues, but a little meat on the bone never hurt anyone.

John So Sexy said...

I agree 100 times Samone..Shoot I LOVE myself..LOL i just wanted to put that in there.

awillowcabin said...

You go girl.