Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The VMAs


So, this year is the first I've watched the VMAs. The only reason I was so determined to watch it this year was because I really wanted to see the Michael Jackson tribute that started off the show. It was fantastic by the way! There were dancerst that paid tribute to Mike's most famous videos (like Thriller, Smooth Criminal, and Bad), and to end the tribute, Janet Jackson finished with her and Mike's song, Scream. It was great.

What pissed me off the most about the show was Kanye West's need to express his opinion on who should've won Female Video of the Year. Taylor Swift won the award, but in the middle of her speech, Kanye gets on stage, interrupts the young artist, and says that although he is happy for Taylor's win, Beyonce had the best video of all time. Okay Kanye, that's all nice and everything, but clearly the spotlight belonged to someone else at that moment. He could've kept that comment to himself,or maybe even expressed it during a speech of his own. I'm sure Beyonce would've won an award by the end of the night, which she did.

During her speech after winning Best Video of the Year, she decided to give Taylor another opportunity to say her speech. Aww, how thoughtful. I gain a little respect for Beyonce, but she's still not on my list for favorite artists. But her performance of Single Ladies was the best I've seen since she came out with the song.

Among other great performances and moments of this year's VMAs were performances by Jay-Z, Taylor Swift, Pink, Lady GaGa, and Madonna.

Couldn't watch the VMAs? Click HERE for the greatest moments of the show.

I think this year's VMAs was better than this year's BET awards and I am looking forward to watching it again next year.